Self-reflection a tool to cope up with this lockdown!

By Dickson Tumuramye

When the president announced the first 14 days of total lockdown, I had written about readjusting our budgets and controlling our expenses since we wouldn't be sure what will happen thereafter.

Upon completing the 14 days on April 14th, 2020, our president (Uganda) again extended the lockdown to more 21 days up to May 5th, 2020. That makes a total of 35 days or more than a month on top of the previous days that some people had already spent just at home with their families. This is a rare case for many to be at home with such an unplanned long time. It's sometimes hard to get such time once for leave from work.

Some received the first 14 days with joy and others with sadness depending on what they were to use those days for.

Whichever way you spent them, it's a time to do a self-audit and I ask yourself;  how have these 14 days of lockdown impacted my life? What did I use those days for? What did I benefit from them? Other than the negative side, what value have they added to my life and my family? If you can't find any, just know that you too are a problem on top of coronavirus.

For example, if you didn't bond with your family, do farming, teach something new to your children, start an online business, finish some home or office assignments, work on and supervise your home projects, revisit or evaluate your business/strategic plan, establish family alter, among others, then you fit well in the Luganda saying "toli mwaavu, omutwe gwo gwe mwaavu," literally meaning you are not poor but it's your head that is poor. If your time is spent sleeping, watching, blaming the government; you lack focus, purpose in life, strategic plan and you live on procrastination.

This should have been the best time to come up with an innovative idea that will remind you of the best days you spent home during COVID-19.

Nevertheless, it's not yet too late. We are not sure that the lockdown will only stop on May 5th, 2020 as this may depend on the situation.

This is another opportunity to do a self-reflection and ask yourself; how best can I utilize the 21 days? What if more days are added, what next for me? How will I spend this lockdown? What if my employer lays me off or my business collapses, what can I do? How will I survive? What good things can I do or start? What more activities/skills am I going to do with my spouse, children, family in this lockdown? Do I have some resources to sustain my family anymore?

Check your savings and investment habits. If a lot is desired, how will you improve in that area after this? How can you plan and save for emergencies/uncertainties? What new plans do you have for the future? At least have new life strategies. Think outside the box.

Don't die in isolation. Be creative. Seek guidance from relatives, friends, experts, or online on how to cope up with this situation. Share lessons with others on what they are learning and doing this period. If you are stressed or traumatized by the lockdown, seek counseling services.

In all, what life-changing things are you doing in this lockdown which you will never forget?

#Stay safe
#Stay home
#Seek God and trust him for your protection and provision (Psalm 121).

 Follow more articles on;
#http://primeparent.blogspot.com
#facebook/Dickson Tumuramye
#twitter @Tumudick
#email: tumudickson@gmail.com

-------------------------------------
Dickson is a child advocate, parenting coach, marriage counselor, and motivational speaker  on:
# Positive parenting
# Marriage and families
# Child counseling
# Career guidance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Decades of Life: A story of Dreams, Resilience and Hope

MORE THAN ONE THING

My Fortunate friend