A Day to Remember on My Daughter's Birthday


As we were soon close to giving birth to our 3rd child, we began planning which hospital and on which dates this should happen. Our agreement was to be checked into the hospital on 23rd April 2015 at Kampala Hospital and to deliver on 24th April 2015. If it were possible, we would have wished Deborah and Dickson to share a birthday since they are all April children but it was not likely.

During that time, I was coordinating a research programme at Uganda Christian University (UCU) with 8 universities in Uganda and 5 Flemish universities in Belgium. The Belgian partners had wanted to orient me but the possibility of traveling to Belgium did not work out. Instead, they opted to do it here in Uganda (at UCU) because the same person to orient me was coming to Africa (DRC) and it was easier to make a 2-day stop over to train me and meet the UCU VC.

Therefore, the date for her coming to Uganda and specifically, my orientation coincided with our delivery date. We talked about it with my wife and agreed to let it happen as the bosses desired which to them was cheaper. I feared mixing work with family matters even when I felt bad about it. I did not inform my Belgian bosses, nor even my guest, that we were expecting and would be hospitalized the same day.

On 24th April, we checked in to the theatre at around 7:30 am. However, I was supposed to pick up my guest from Colline Hotel Mukono at 9:00 am and we meet the VC at 10:00 am. To cut the story short, I took my wife to the theatre and dragged my feet to leave for this meeting and training. It was not easy. I remember it took me about 30 minutes to drive from Kampala Hospital to Mukono.

Thank God for our friend Johnson Wanyama whom I left in charge of everything. I told him to pace around theatre corridors on my behalf. I tell you, I did all I could that day but my heart was in the hospital. It even became serious when I received the good news that we had a baby girl before the meeting started. We believed God for a baby girl. During the pregnancy, I called her Maama Debbie. Those who know our story, the first time Prim sent me a message in her desperate situation that she was again pregnant, I calmly answered in a message “That must be a girl, Debbie.” This message did not make sense to her because she was not ready for another child as it happened so soon.

Again, we never wanted to know this child's sex during our antenatal visits. Our faith in God was that He should answer our prayers with a baby girl and we waited for real-time to see this come to pass. Indeed, God did it as we prayed. He is a faithful God!

Amazingly when I met my guest at the hotel and told her that I was from the hospital that morning and left my wife in the theatre, she was so touched. She was concerned that I did not let her know on time because this could have been rescheduled. It downed on me why I did not say the truth before. It would have set me free and I would have been in the hospital with my wife without pressure.

I share this story with us especially with my fellow men to know when to prioritize our families above everything. With all the risks associated with surgery, I prioritized this job over my wife and the baby. I also later learnt that though my wife accepted this orientation training to go on, she was not really happy with it but had no option. She was at a crossroads because both of us wanted the job, but she also wanted me to be there. She was very anxious about what she had been through during our second pregnancy and did not know what might happen in my absence.

Again, for all marrieds, it is appropriate to walk in the light and share your feelings in harmony and scrutinize all possible solutions to the challenge at hand. We looked at my situation from one angle – we needed the job and the guest had already made the programme to travel to DRC and stop in Uganda first for my sake. I really needed that orientation.

But it could not have been at my family's expense. Jobs will come and go, but the family will always be there for you. You can even lose a job and get another one, but when it comes to family matters, no replacement can adequately fill that gap.

Amidst all that happened that day, it is now 8 years and we celebrate the birthday of Deborah Tumuramye Amara, the Prime Minister of the Tumuramye government, a member of the Blessed Band, a woman of valor, a worship warrior, a very beautiful in and out princess, calm and assertive, very outgoing, a lady that commands respect from her brothers even when she is the youngest.

We are nurturing this lady to be like Deborah in the bible (Judges 4&5); a lady described as the only female judge in Israel in the old testament, a prophet, a poet, and a warrior who told General Barrack that if she leads the Israel army against the Canaanites, it will be credited to her (Judges 4:9) and a woman full of wisdom. Our daughter is already a woman of influence in our midst and very intelligent. We believe God that He will use her as an ordinary girl to do extraordinary things for His kingdom.

Happy Birthday, my dearest lovely, adorable daughter Debbie!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Decades of Life: A story of Dreams, Resilience and Hope

MORE THAN ONE THING

My Fortunate friend