Four Decades of Life: A story of Dreams, Resilience and Hope

Author: Prim K. Tumuramye

Forty years sounded like a century back then. This year (Feb 5, 2024), I made four decades on earth and how grateful I feel. I am filled with gratitude for the journey so far trodden, through the different seasons of my life. Looking back, I can only be grateful. Born to and singlehandedly raised by a single mother, amidst great limitation yet unimaginable contentment, many a times the future looked bleak. Poverty, nowadays politely referred to as humble background robs one of choice. That is what defined my childhood. Yet, my mother dared to dream, against all odds. When ends refused to meet, mother put the chalk down, left a would be decent primary school teaching career, hitting the trenches as an amateur petty trader. Her life took another twist – mockery, lack and the hustles of searching for daily bread. And that is the life I would grow up into. 

Mother seemed never undeterred by the prevailing circumstances. She had a strange confidence that everything would be alright. She always said that it was just a matter of time, and things would be alright. In silent disbelief, I prayed that one day she would wake up from her dream. Time looked like a forever concept. Time seemed to have stagnated. It looked like time had conspired with poverty to never be in hurry lest the duo lessens my burden of peering into an uncertain future.


‘Shana obaga muhara wa Governor, ninga orya’shwerwa Governor.’ Literally translated,

‘Maybe you are a Governor’s daughter, or you will marry  one.’ quite often my mother reprimanded me as I lazily pulled over the blanket for another dose of sleep every morning.

I have never been an early riser or late owl. I love doing life during the day, literally. I think God had a purpose for separating day and night, as told in the creation story. See, I got biblical consolation for my not so popular choice. Unfortunately, early bird and night owl combined is what defined my mother. She sadly gave birth to me – the total opposite. Well, again, that’s life!

Growing up, I was a loner, understandably so because I was an only child. Mother was overly protective, lest I would have left the ghetto a deeply wounded adolescent. A good nap or read became my consolation. It had to either be a book or bed. That explains my quiet demeanor, and true introverted spirit. Over the years, I have learnt to get out of my shell. I am still work in progress, but grateful that the timid, fearful little girl I was then, is now a thing of the past. My mother’s reference to a governor’s daughter or wife having a better chance at living a simpler life was an inspiration. I knew I had zero chances of becoming a Governor’s daughter, because my ordinary father’s absence in my life was already loud. However, there seemed to be a glimmer of hope of becoming the governor’s wife or being the governor herself! What a fantasy to hold. It was a sweet, inspirational one. I dared to nurse it.

The desire to grow into the governor’s wife, or better still the governor gave me something to aim for. And oh boy, I dared to dream, not your everyday dreams but big aspirations that defied my circumstances then. I dreamt of a time when I would not go before a school headteacher to plead for another extra day at school in the hope of raising fees amidst hopeless situations. I fantasied of a time when I would know what my next meal would be without hanging onto the hand of fate. I dared to dream.

Even in its seemingly snail-paced movement, time passed. One day I woke up and I had completed college. Then I was working, beginning to experience the problems of the privileged – I too became busy! I have experienced the joy of living and enjoying fully the different seasons of my life, from the first decade to the present one. I look back and I am in awe of how much can happen in a short time, but above all, God’s unchanging nature amidst the changing seasons of our lives.

The closest I had in being in a relationship with someone akin to the governor was a crush I had on a banker in my early twenties. Though the feeling seemed mutual, it led us to nowhere. It was in that season that a young man from a little-known village from one of the hard-to-reach districts of my motherland stole my heart. He was not a governor, nor a son to one, but lived bigger than life. I couldn’t ask for more. He has given me the freedom to ‘eat’ his money when it is available. He knows that life already taught me contentment for the days when there will be nothing. And that has been my life. I have gotten more blessings than my years of life so far on earth. I have seen God open doors for me, that no earthly father could dare knock at. Recently a friend of mine sent me a message that left me deeply humbled, but also intentionally reflecting on my journey.

‘Do you have any challenges or things that bother you in life? I see everything is well on your side.’ He wrote.

‘No one lives a challenge-free life. Yes, I do have challenges, but I focus on the good and positive.’ I replied.

As I step into the next big 40 years of my life, I embark on that journey with even more gusto to live life to the fullest. If you asked me how I made it here, I don’t even need to think through the answer – it is God. I do not know how long or short the next phase of the journey will be, but one thing I am sure of is that I will intentionally strive to make it  worthwhile.  Hopefully, and yes, I dare hope again, maybe the educated farmer that I married will metamorphose into a governor. Then at 80, I will tell the chronicles of being a governor’s wife!


Comments

  1. Beautiful story of Life.
    Let me wait to read that story of the governor's wife 40 yrs from now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farmer has to work hard for me to live that dream.

      Delete
  2. For sure u have lived like a governor. I have tasted it too.Remembering how you used to throw away a worn out sandal instead of mending it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...you have reminded me. Yes, I hate poverty and all his relatives. Anything that might want to remind me of it, like a torn sandal, I throw very far.

      Delete
  3. I'm also a big dreamer.
    I hope to be a governor's wife, or be one myself. Even in this seemingly snail-paced journey, I dare to dream. And I believe, God will give me more than I dream.
    Thanks for this gal. Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep the dream my dear. Our God is more than able to give us beyond our dream lists.

      Delete
  4. My dear one, godliness with contentment is what I have learnt from you.
    Am convinced that even the sky will not limit you from maximizing your full potential. Proudly associated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the Bible says it is great gain!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful story dear Prim,similar to mine,through the changing scenes of life,we give glory to God🙏

      Delete
  5. From a farmer's wife to chairman's wife and now looking forward to Governor's wife! Oh God, is there anything too hard for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Can't wait to pen down the tales of a Governor's wife!

      Delete
  6. And I shall be here to read your story as both my mentor and the governor's wife or better still, the governor lady herself. I love you Prim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super proud to have personally been part of this story for two decades! We serve a mighty father. Looking forward to reading the chronicles of a Governor's wife in the future! Love you gal, Sheila Niinye

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...a life well lived so far!
    All the best in the next 40yrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. With God all things are possible . We thank you God for this far he has brought you. Congs Primu

    ReplyDelete
  10. The God who holds us; our father is bigger and greater than a governor, He couldn't let you land into the ghetto again. You will remain a governor's daughter with an educated farmer or with a governor as a husband. I love you my sister

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prim, what a story, you are such a greater writer but above all, thank you for a story that teaches us that how it began doesn't matter , what matters is how it will end. I called you bourgeois and I know it's coming to pass..haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MORE THAN ONE THING

My Fortunate friend